For more than a decade, I have been interested in the instructional strategies and practices used in computer and information systems education. Research confirms students struggle with technology-oriented courses. The most troubling statistics are from the introductory computer programming courses where failure and withdrawal rates exceed fifty percent. To heighten the quality of the curriculum and positively impact student achievement, I focus on the development of teaching practices that intersect the subject-matter and the technology.
- Abstract URL(2009). Evolutionary, Not Revolutionary, Programming Exercises Using Design Patterns in an OO Data Structures Course. In Proceedings of the 47th Annual Southeast Regional Conference, ACM-SE 47 (p. 41:1--41:5). Clemson, South Carolina: ACM. Retrieved from http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1566445.1566501
- Abstract URL(2008). A hybrid and novel approach to teaching computer programming in MIS curriculum. In S. Negash, Whitman, M., Woszczynski, A., Hoganson, K., & Mattord, H. (Eds.), Handbook of Distance Learning for Real-Time and Asynchronous Information Technology Education (pp. 259-281). Hershey, PA: Idea Group Reference. Retrieved from http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/hybrid-novel-approach-teaching-computer/19410
- Abstract URL(2006). Student Perspectives of ePortfolios in Computing Education. In R. Menezes (Ed.), Proceedings of the 44th Annual Association of Computing Machinery Southeast Regional Conference, ACM-SE 44 (pp. 152-157). Melbourne, Florida: ACM. Retrieved from http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1185448.1185483
- Abstract URL(2005). Literature themes on integrating ERP systems into the curricula. In Proceedings of the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction Symposium and Career Showcase (pp. 41-49). Jacksonville, FL: University of North Florida. Retrieved from http://www.aritzhaupt.com/eprofessional/papers/2005/RitzhauptWhitney.pdf
- Abstract URL(2003). An exploration of themes and trends in information-related education using computer-aided content analysis. In Proceedings of the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction Symposium and Career Showcase (pp. 1 - 16). Jacksonville, FL: University of North Florida. Retrieved from http://www.aritzhaupt.com/eprofessional/papers/2003/Ritzhaupt2.pdf