Welcome to my website and blog. On this site, you’ll find information about me, some of my ongoing research projects, my contact information, some helpful resources, and my random thoughts about random things. Your comments, questions, and concerns are welcome. Additionally, if you are trying to acquire any of my research papers, presentations or instructional resources, please feel welcome to contact me.
Where to start with a life story? I suppose I should start by telling you about where I was raised and my childhood. I was born in Dunedin, Florida. However, I spent most of my adolescent life in Port Richey, Florida. For those of you that have been there, I am sorry. For those of you that haven’t, you aren’t missing much. It’s historically a retirement community, but is suffering a transition because of the growing number of middle-class families moving to the area. A political and driving nightmare, of course, that is most of Florida.
My parents used to own a four-star international cuisine restaurant called Seaport Inn. Therefore, I grew up around a diverse group of people that were either my parents’ employees or their customers. My parents were both first-generation to the United States. My father, a tall German, passed away on October 12, 2014. My mother is a short Chinese woman that still travels the world today. Both provided a strong and loving family life. They were quite an interesting match coming from two different worlds, which goes without saying.
I am not the only child in this loving and diverse family. I have two siblings: my brother Fred and my sister Annette. They are awesome siblings. My sister lives near Orlando, Florida area and has taken the fulfilling career as a restaurant manager and a mother of three beautiful children: two boys and one girl. My nephews and nieces are adorable by the way. As for my brother, he is a general manager for Longhorn Steakhouse in Jacksonville, Florida. He also has three children: one boy and two girls. You can see a picture of my immediate family members below.
I made many important friendships in High School that have lasted (Love you Dani, Louanne, Jani). When I finished High School, things took a natural yet stark change in my life. I focused on college, and I moved to Orlando to attend Valencia State College’s honors program. After completing my AA, I moved to Jacksonville to attend the University of North Florida (UNF) on an honors scholarship.
I completed my bachelors in Computer and Information Sciences, and my Master of Business Administration at the UNF. In the Summer of 2005, I started my doctoral work at the University of South Florida (USF). I completed my PhD in Instructional Technology and with a minor area in Measurement and Research in the Spring of 2008. I am very interested in using technology to improve educational processes and conducting sound educational research.
Like most people, I have many interests. The problem is, I don’t have the time anymore to do all the things that I enjoy. Here are some of the things that I enjoy:
- Real-time, multi-player, strategy war simulation video games: Command and Conquer, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Dune, Dune 2000, War Craft and Star Craft. I used to even host LAN parties for my students sometimes.
- Red wines from all regions: Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and Merlot. In particular, I am a fan of vineyards in California, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, and France.
- Preparing international cuisine. My father was a chef with more than 40 years experience. They used to own a four star restaurant.
- Traveling anywhere and everywhere. I am planning a trip to Europe again this summer. I also travel the United States regularly attending conferences.
- Spending time with family, especially playing with my nephews and nieces.
- Volunteering in professional and social organizations
- Reading all the literature I should have read in High School. When I have the time, I like to read the classics. I also enjoy ‘real’ sci-fi that engages a reader in the social, moral, legal, and ethical implications of technology.